Six Things Every Import Export Course Program Must Teach You
Import Export Online Course
Let’s walk through the steps and procedures to import and export. Steps that a credible import export course should teach you, so you can work out what you need and where to best get that training and support.
1. Develop Your Product Idea
- Is your product fit for market? Some globally born products are adaptable for any market, with minimal changes; mostproducts are not and will require some adaptation to meet regulations, or just customer expectations.
- Is it profitable or feasible for the market? Let’s calculate the range of costs to land it, then take it to market (not just launch it and hope, but reach customers)
- What do you need to do get it market ready? Next you sit down and work out the cost and time for each new feature. A wish list – and you must be brutally efficient in deciding what will deliver value and what is not feasible. The last thing you want is a never ending product development cycle that drains you of money, enthusiasm and market opportunity.
2. Which Markets to Import from or Export to
- Is there an appetite for the product? If it is a completely new product to market – how will you educate people what it is and create demand? Or are you filling a niche for a product with existing demand? The go to market strategies for a new vs. known product are entirely different.
- Can the customer pay your asking price? Sure you can look at the most populated countries on earth and salivate at their market size, but if they are not used to paying your asking price for that product, if they do not have the disposable income then you may be better to look at a market with higher levels of income.
- Is there local substitution or danger of replacement? Think about exporting to China or India, would they really buy your product at a premium price if it is manufactured locally and sold by a foreigner? Surprisingly the answer is maybe. The key is in branding and local substitutions.
3. Develop Your Product Prototype for the Market
- Is your product best developed locally or overseas with the manufacturer? Sure you will pay less having an overseas
manufacturer develop the product, but the control and attention to detail by developing local is invaluable. Can you afford to develop it locally? Have you got the time to develop it overseas?
- Do you need product expertise to cover your knowledge gaps? Unless you are a pattern maker or an engineer, there may be elements of the product that can be better checked by an expert. A wise investment at the prototype stage.
- Now test your product for the market. I am talking about implementing a systematic import export procedure to test your supplier, product and customer market, which ticks of uncertainties surrounding your investment. We specialise in helping our clients to test multiple new products before they invest in one.
4. Now Cover Off Your Import Export Risks and Challenges
- Is your intellectual property at risk? Think about preventative steps and practical measure to minimise the risk. Sorry to say that IP (Intellectual Property) theft is a major issue, even in Australia so whatever you do to prevent IP theft is much better than trying to enforce
- Is your payment at risk? What is the chance your money will go missing, or just be drained by foreign exchange drops and fees?
- Competitor risk. It happens on every market (even with our import export online course!), so do what we did and take practical steps to lead the market and prevent competitors overrunning your ideas and market position.
5. Negotiate Your Import Export Agreement
- Can you develop a small and large volume strategy? Regular small volume parcels help make you adaptable to new product lines. Large orders are of course most cost effective to ship and store. Strike a balance on product supply.
- Quality control and inspections? If you don’t get quality inspections done, you have rocks in your head. I cannot emphasise this enough, even for small orders.
- Have you ticked off and got agreement on every major risk area? We have translated agreement templates for you to work from, and learning modules that reveal all the latest tricks that are deployed.
6. Ship and Launch Your Product
- Manage storage and delivery or 3PL (3rd Party Logistics) – pick and pack services are fantastic for avoiding home or office storage, and a great interim solution. But what are the tipping points and when do you graduate from one to the other, and back to own storage?
- Shipping terms and risk transfer – the oldest trick in the book is a switch of shipping terms at the last minute, and it continues to happen with online suppliers frequently. Of course once the goods are in your control you are responsible for getting through customs and insuring them
- Market entry strategy – are you selling retail online, wholesale, utilising sales agents and distributors or setting up offices. THINK VOLUME, whatever you do. Online retail as a sole strategy is slow going, we advise all our clients how to tackle wholesale and export.
Want to learn more about how to work through these six steps to import and launch product? Download our free course guide and starter program, or just get started today and get coaching and guidance along the way.
Get Started or
Learn How to Import and Export with an Online Course
Here is what to look for with an online import export course:
- Relevance – practical steps that will help you import or export a successful product, without the jargon
- Credibility – work with someone with proven import export experience AND qualifications, for a holistic approach
- Time and value for money – your two goals are speed to market and quick return on investment. If you spend $5000+ just on training, then you have much less to spend on product.
The days of travelling to a classroom or flying to a costly seminar to learn how to import and export are long gone. The classroom style of learning requires a teacher, a whiteboard and lots of time and money that is better invested in your business.
Why an Online Import Export Course is Practical
The key with an import export course is specific advice relevant to your needs. Nobody wants a scripted textbook driven course that is devoid of real life experience.
Here is what to look for:
- Someone that has done the hard yards – imported and exported products,not just shipped them
- Outcomes – are they advertising job prospects, or product success. Which do you want, a job or a successful product?
- Personal touch – sure the internet removes the personal element, so take a few extra steps to find a course that specifically provides a learning consultant, or coach with it
Universities are moving to flexible online learning solutions, so online learning is a credible option that beats travel and cost of classroom training, the key is to gain the practical insight relevant to your needs.
Nothing beats the practical advice from someone that has done it themselves, and learned from their mistakes along the way.
Import Export Courses in Melbourne and Sydney
Your location is unimportant so long as you have a reliable internet connection. Critically with any course, you need personal support for the specific challenges your suppliers and products have. Here is what to look for:
- A trained and qualified import export adviser on call – that provides practical options, based on your needs
- Video conferences and scheduled phone calls – regular catch-ups for feedback and context
- Regular workshops on new topics – this industry changes, daily. Think of the value of an expert on your side that can point you through the new trends and what you can do to capitalise on them
We have clients in every major capital city, rural and regional Australia. While they love our online import export course, they get the best value from the personal interaction that goes with it. Simple gold nuggets of advice that comes from experience, which saves them the hassle and pain of learning from that mistake themselves.
What Type of Online International Trade Course Do You Need?
Here is why you would choose an industry driven international trade course online
- You need to import or export product to market
- You need practical steps and current advice to navigate the process
So the decision lies in the outcome you are trying to achieve. We have done the formal route with International Business university degrees, and now we offer the second option, that combines years of practical experience on top.
International Trade Procedures and Import Export Online Course with My Import Label
You are a few clicks away from answering all the questions you have, how to import and export and succeed in international trade.
These are the specific goals we want you to achieve, and what makes our program stand out:
- Your product success – we are not training you for a job, we want you to launch product to market successfully and commit our program to helping you achieve that
- Profit and growth – we steer you away from high risk, small target products. Most of our clients adapt their product idea significantly after we work with them
- Speed and quick returns – we help you get quick wins, and avoid high investment start-up costs. We don’t want you throwing money at anything before the product is tested
Now here is why you should listen to us:
- Experienced – dozens of products we have directly helped launch to market
- Practical – you benefit from the experiences of hundreds of companies we have supported
- Credible – International Trade degree qualified – no nonsense or dream selling, credible
This is not a one off program where you pay and never hear from us again; after you start we call you within 48 working hours to welcome you on board for a free consultation. You have unlimited access to our online learning resource, with over 70 learning modules, template and tools that our members continue to access and use even when they are importing large quantities and have completed the program. It is updated monthly with new modules and tips, plus you have the option to get more personal help when you need it.
My Import Label Experience in International Trade Courses
Our clients have successfully exported everything from industrial chemicals, hardware, software, fashion, clothing and even food and wine. The export markets we have most worked are:
- US, UK and Hong Kong – natural health products, fashion and professional services
- India and China – advanced technologies for mining and industrial sectors
- New Zealand – wide range of consumer goods and technologies
Your product will determine if you should target global or local markets first. Chat to us about your market development strategy today, we would love to share our ideas.
Who Does Our Import Export Training Course Suit?
Whichever product you wish to import, it is likely we have moved it, or assisted a client to do so. We share our unique insights with you, from all the hands on work done – inspecting products and factories in China and India, unpacking containers, building and launching successful e-commerce websites and marketing on a shoestring budget.
The import export course is well suited for:
- Small business or staff member – to launch a new product line
- Entrepreneurs and start-ups – learn how to bring new products to market quickly and profitably
- Home business – develop an income stream that suits your flexible times and underutilised skills
All the skills you need wrapped into an easy import export online program that most people complete in six weeks. All delivered by qualified import and launch industry professionals.
Import and Export Procedures
A six week online course on import export business procedures that is easy to follow, and explains in simple terms without the jargon.
If and when you need more help, you have an expert at your fingertips, ready to help you address the specific challenges you face:
- Webinar coaching – industry specialists present new topics across the import and launch process
- One on one coaching – book a coaching session, and get direct advice and support
- Help in China – to check factories for you, or help communicate with suppliers
Half your Budget, Double your Profit
We help you to:
- Import any product, from any market
- Innovate your products
- Scale up and import in volume
Get Started or